CALL FOR PAPERS
Display Week 2020
Society for Information Display
INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM, SEMINAR & EXHIBITION
June 7–12, 2020
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, US
Special Topics for 2020
The Display Week 2020 Technical Symposium will place emphasis on three special topics of interest to address rapid growth in the following areas: Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and Mixed Reality; Machine Learning for Displays; and Printed Displays. Submissions relating to these special topics in the field of information display are highly encouraged.
• AR, VR, and MR Systems and Applications
• Display Technologies for AR, VR, and MR Systems
• Spatial Sensing and Imaging Technologies
• Tracking, Localization, Mapping, and Navigation Techniques
• Computation, Graphics, and Display Processing
• Mapping and Rendering of Virtual Objects onto the Physical World
• Immersive Audio Technologies
• End-to-End System Integration and Latencies
• Inputs, Interfaces, and Interactions
• Human Factors and User Experience
• Object, Human, and Scene Capture; Reconstruction, Recognition, and Understanding
• Machine Learning Techniques Including Deep Neural Networks
• Eye Tracking, Biometrics, and User Authentication
• Techniques in Graphics, Image Processing, and Computer Vision
• Applications in Enhancing Display Technology
• For AR/VR in Developing Featured Machines
• In Display Manufacturing
• In Display Measurement
• For Human Visual Perception in Displays
• For Interactive Technology
• Printed AMOLED Displays
• Printed QD-LED Materials and Devices
• Printed TFTs
• Novel Solution-Process Charge-Transport Materials
• Solution-Process OLED Materials and Devices
• Solution-Process Bus-Line or Transparent Electrodes
• Printed QD Materials for PL and EL Applications
• Novel Printing/Patterning Techniques
• Novel Printing Equipment and Processes
• Transfer Printing of MicroLED Displays
The Society for Information Display (SID) encourages the submission of original papers on all aspects of the research, engineering, application, evaluation, and utilization of displays. Paper submissions are welcome for any of the following symposium topics:
• TFT Devices Made of LTPS, Oxide, LTPO, and Other Semiconductors
• High-Performance Active-Matrix Displays
• Ultra-Low-Power Active-Matrix Displays
• New AMOLED Display Pixels and Backplanes
• Novel TFT Circuits and Driving Technologies
• Sensors and Other Functional Devices
• Integrated Active-Matrix Devices
• Emerging Active-Matrix Displays and Devices
• NEW for 2020 Backplane Technology for MicroLED
• Wide-Color-Gamut and High-Dynamic-Range Imaging
• Visual Comfort and Health with Display Systems (Including Links Between Myopia and Displays)
• Immersive Interaction
• Image Quality and Display Perception
• Human-Machine Interfaces
• Human Factors in Emerging Displays
• Human Factors of Projection Systems and Applications
• New Display Technologies and Storytelling, Controlling Attention
• Dealing with Prescriptions in Near-to-Eye Displays
• NEW for 2020 Smart Vehicular Display and Lighting Technologies
• Interactive Technologies for Automotive Displays
• Application Issues with Vehicular Displays and Lighting
• Metrology for Automotive Displays
• Displays for ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems)
• Head-Up Displays (HUDs), Including AR, Holographic, and Night Vision
• Automotive and Vehicular Display Market and Technology Trends
• Infotainment and Passenger Entertainment Displays
• Projection Displays (Other than HUD) for Interior and Exterior Projection
• Transparent Displays (Other than HUD) for Window, Panoramic Roof, etc.
• Camera and Rear Mirror Display Systems
• Video Interface and Display Link for Automotive
• Exterior Automotive Displays (Other than Projection)
• Displays as Interior Design Elements
• High-Visual-Performance Displays for Automotive
• Display Readability in Variable Ambient Lighting Situations
• Optical Components for Automotive Applications
• Optical Bonding, AR/AG/AS Coating
• Display Materials Optimized for Automotive Applications
• Motorbike and Bicycle Displays and Applications
• EXPANDED for 2020 Avionic Displays and Applications, Including HMD, HUD, and Interaction Means
• Modeling and Simulations
• Human-Machine Interface (HMI) System Solutions
• HMI for, and User Experience (UX) of, Advanced Driver Assistance Systems, Automated Driving, etc.
• Multi-Modal Input and Output User Experience (UX)
• Driver Inattention (Driver Distraction)
• EXPANDED for 2020 Automotive User Experience (UX), User Interaction (UI), User Delight (UD)
• Application Issues with Automotive HMIs
• Customer Acceptance and Feedback on Different Technology Displays and Interfaces
• Regulations and Trends Related to In-Vehicle Interfaces
• Electronics and Image Processing for Wearable Displays
• Driving Electronics for UHD (4K x 2K) and Beyond
• Driving and Compensation Circuits for Curved Displays
• Electronics for Touch and Interactive Displays
• OLED Driving Techniques
• Display Drivers, TCONs, and New Driving Schemes
• NEW for 2020 Variable Refresh Rate Electronics and Driving Schemes
• NEW for 2020 Machine Learning for Display Electronics
• NEW for 2020 Sensors Under Display Technologies and Electronics
• Low-Power and Low-Cost Driving Techniques
• Image/Video Capture and Processing Techniques
• 3D/Depth Imaging and Augmented/Virtual Reality
• High-Dynamic-Range Driving Electronics
• NEW for 2020 Display Electronics for Foldable Displays
• Manufacturing-Related Advances Enabling Current and Emerging Displays Including Flexible, Foldable, Stretchable, Wearable Displays; 3D or Transparent Displays; Multi-Functional Display Architectures; etc.
• Manufacture of High-Resolution OLED and Other Emissive Display Panels, Including Fine Metal Mask (FMM), OLED Evaporation Systems, OLED Printing or Patterning Processes, and Thin-Film Encapsulation (TFE) Processes
• Manufacture of AMLCD and Other Non-Emissive Displays
• Manufacture of e-Paper and Other Reflective Displays
• Manufacturing Equipment and Processes, Including Very Large Substrate Sizes (Gen 10.5 and Above)
• Manufacturing Equipment for Front- and Back-End Processing Including Packaging, Encapsulation, Interconnect, Assembly, and Roll-to-Roll Processing
• Display-Module Manufacturing Including Panel and Module Assembly for All Display Technologies (e.g., AMLCD, OLED Display, e-Paper, Mini/MicroLED Display, Projection, etc.)
• Inline Manufacturing Test, Repair, and Metrology
• Display-Component Manufacturing (e.g., Optical Films, Color Filters, LEDs, Backlights, In-Cell and On-Cell Touch Panels, Finger-Print Sensors, Covers, etc.), Including Topics Related to High Luminance and True Black, HDR Displays, and Quantum-Dot-Based Applications
• Materials for Panel and Module Manufacturing, Including Substrates, Films, Adhesives, Photo-Patternable Organic Materials (for Bank Layers or Polarization Layers, etc.), Photoresists, Sputtering or Evaporating Materials, and Consumables
• Manufacturing Productivity and Cost-Reduction Topics
• Green Manufacturing — Reducing Energy Consumption and Waste, and Strategies for Product End-of-Life Recycling and Disposal, etc.
• Characterization of Perceptible Display Phenomena
• Optical Characterization of Display Materials and Components and Their Effects on System Optical Performance
• Optical Characterization and Measurement of High-Dynamic-Range and Wide-Gamut Displays
• Solid-State-Lighting Metrology and Characterization
• Advances in Display Measurements Standards
• Measurement Methods for Near-to-Eye Displays for AR, VR, and Other Applications
• Optical Characterization and Measurement of Light-Field and 3D Displays
• Calibration and Verification of Instrumentation
• NEW for 2020 Display Testing and Calibration in Mass Production
• EXPANDED for 2020 Display Systems and Components
• NEW for 2020 Near-to-Eye Displays: Wearable, Augmented-Reality, Virtual-Reality, and Mixed-Reality Displays, Unique Components, See-Through, See-Around, and Vision Obscuring
• NEW for 2020 Dual-Cell LCD
• Novel Displays, Components, and Image Processing
• EXPANDED for 2020 Large-Area-Display Technologies: Cinema Displays, Direct-View LED Walls, Digital Signage
• EXPANDED for 2020 Projection Head-Up Displays for Automotive, Aviation, and Other Applications
• Mobile Displays
• Transparent Displays
• Ultra-Low-Power Displays
• EXPANDED for 2020 SDR/HDR/Display Backlight Units, FLU, and Components
• NEW for 2020 Light-Guide Plate Design for Automotive Lighting and Illumination
• 3D, Autostereoscopic, Light-Field Displays
• Projector: Design, Manufacturing, Applications, and Novel Architectures
• EXPANDED for 2020 Projection Systems, Arrays, Subsystems, Components, and Projection Mapping
• NEW for 2020 Immersive Display Systems, Dome Displays, and Cave Displays
• EXPANDED for 2020 Standards and Guidelines Related to the Design or Evaluation of Display Systems
Novel and Emerging Display Technologies
• Smart Displays and Novel Uses of Embedded Technologies
• NEW for 2020 Advanced Optics and Tunable Active Optic Technologies for Enhanced Vision, Near-to-Eye Displays, and Holography
• NEW for 2020 Application of Meta-Surface and Meta-Optics in Novel Displays
• NEW for 2020 Display and Sensor Combinations for Unique Applications (e.g., medical)
• NEW for 2020 Applications of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) for Enhancing Imaging, Healthcare, Wellness, and Manufacturing
• Novel Uses of Display Technology for Non-Display Applications
• Multi-Modal Display User Interfaces (e.g., Auditory Displays)
• Display Software Applications (e.g., Image Enhancement)
• Novel Applications
• EXPANDED for 2020 Wearable Display Applications and Novel Uses of Near-to-Eye Displays
• Medical and Clinical Applications Including Imaging, Diagnostics, Therapy, Remediation, and Quality of Life
• Avionics, Military, Automotive, and Ruggedized Display Applications
• Applications of Mobile Displays (Smartphones, Tablets, e-Readers, etc.)
• EXPANDED for 2020 New Digital Cinema, Entertainment, Gaming, and TV Applications
• Smart Lighting/Solid-State Lighting Applications
• Applications of Kiosks, Signage, Transparent, and Tiled Displays
• Environmentally Friendly (Green) Display Applications
• 3D, Stereoscopy, and Holography Display Applications
• Novel Ubiquitous Display Applications
• EXPANDED for 2020 Displays for IoT Solutions
• Applications of Touch and Distributed Displays
• EXPANDED for 2020 MicroLEDs (Devices, Metrology, Materials, and Manufacturing)
• EXPANDED for 2020 Quantum-Dot Materials and Manufacturing
• EXPANDED for 2020 Quantum-Dot Applications and Processing
• Quantum-Dot Electroluminescence
• Perovskite Electronics
• Plasma, Field-Emission, and Inorganic EL Displays
• NEW for 2020 Smart Pixels, Smart Displays, and Highly Integrated Semiconductor Information Displays (HISIDs)
• Flexible OLED, MicroLED, QD-LED, and Other Emissive Materials, Displays, and Devices
• EXPANDED for 2020 Electronic Papers including LCD, EPD, MEMS, and Other Non-Emissive or Emissive Displays and Devices
• System-Level Integration for Flexible, Wearable, Bendable, and Stretchable Display Devices
• Materials and Devices for Textile/Fiber Displays and Electronics
• Flexible Sensors and Wearable Displays
• EXPANDED for 2020 Flexible Display Components and Materials Including Substrates, Films, Adhesives, Encapsulation, and Barriers
• Organic and Other Solution-Based TFTs, Flexible Active-Matrix Backplanes
• Integration, Packaging, Testing, and Reliability of Flexible Displays and e-Paper
• Flexible-Display Manufacturing of and Equipment for Printed Electronics
• Applications and Ergonomics of Integrated Flexible Electronics
• Flexible and Stretchable Hybrid Electronics
• NEW for 2020 Bio/Medical Applications of Flexible/Wearable Displays and e-Papers
• Materials and Devices for Novel Mechanical UI/UX Technique
Interactive Displays: address sensing and interactivity that are fundamentally integrated into a display. Examples include:
• Displays with Directly Integrated Sensing Capabilities
o NEW for 2020 In-Air Gesture
o Fingerprint (via e.g., Optical, Capacitive, Ultrasonic Mechanisms)
o Biometrics (Pulse/Ox, Electrocardiography, Temperature, EM Signature, etc.)
o Sensor-in-Pixel (SIP), e.g., Optical, Pressure, etc.
o Ambient Light Sensing
o Environmental (e.g., UV Exposure)
o NEW for 2020 RF (e.g. NFC, RFID Reader)
• Displays with Directly Integrated Output Capabilities:
o Haptic Displays
o Acoustic Displays (Integrated Speaker and/or Microphone Functionality)
• NEW for 2020 Displays with Integrated Data Communication (e.g., Li-Fi, etc.) Capabilities
• Optical Imaging through the Display
o NEW for 2020 Camera under Screen
Touch Controllers, Sensors, Materials, and Processes involve novel state-of-the-art techniques for sensing touch on a display, with quantitative characterization and discussion of their performance. Topics include:
• Touch Controllers and Electronics (Especially Those Integrated with the Display Driver)
• Touch Electrode Sensor Design and Geometry
• Substrates (Including Novel Glasses, Flexible Films, etc.)
• Transparent Conductors and ITO Alternatives (e.g., Metal Mesh, Nanowires, etc.)
• Patterning Methods for Touch Sensors
• Integration Methods with the Display (e.g., Direct Lamination/Optical Bonding)
• Investigations of Touch-Sensor Visibility
• NEW for 2020 Special Considerations for Automotive Applications
Novel Sensors that are based on display industry materials or manufacturing techniques and that have a clear path to integration with a display are of interest.
Novel Interaction Systems and Techniques that the systems support must be extremely novel or impactful to be considered.
NEW for 2020 Surveys on Pen/Stylus: This year we are calling for high-quality survey papers on the state of the art of simultaneous pen+touch sensing.
• Flexible, Rollable, and Conformable LCDs
• High Image Quality/Super High Resolution
• Fast-Response-Time and Color-Sequential LCDs
• High-Dynamic-Range and High-Ambient-Contrast LCDs
• Wide-Color-Gamut and QD-Enhanced LCDs
• NEW for 2020 LC for Automotive Displays
• LC for AR/VR Applications
• Smart Windows
• Display Enhancement
• LC-Based Spatial Light Modulators and Optical Elements
• LC Alignment Technologies
• New LC Materials
• NEW for 2020 Use of LC Technologies in Sensing Applications
• NEW for 2020 LC for Nonvisible Wavelength Applications
• Materials and Devices for Solid-State Lighting:
o Notable Developments in LED and OLED Materials and Devices for Lighting
o Material and Device Design for High-Efficiency Solid-State Lighting
o NEW for 2020 New Phosphor and Color Converting Materials
o Critical Components in Solid-State Lighting: Light Extraction, Modules, Substrates, Optics, Drivers, and Thermal Management
o Flexible OLED Lighting Systems and Their Applications
o Novel Light Sources and Backlighting
• Visual and Non-Visual Effects of Lighting:
o Development of Lighting Products for Improved Well-Being
o NEW for 2020 Blue Light Exposure and Design of Low-Blue Lighting Systems
o Quality of Light, Including Color Rendering, Flicker, and Glare, for Indoor and Outdoor Applications
o Visual Neuroscience Behind Lighting or Display Design
• Color-Changing and/or CCT-Tunable Luminaires:
o Control Systems, Strategies, Algorithms, and Applications for Color Changing or CCT Tuning
o NEW for 2020 Dynamic Color Control and Beam Shaping
• Connected Lighting Systems
• NEW for 2020 Laser and Projection Lighting Systems
Abstract/Technical Summary Format and Paper Submission Requirements
General Note: The selection-rejection decision for a paper is based on its originality, quality, relevance, and completeness.
TWO OPTIONS FOR PAPER SUBMISSION (Read carefully)
Two options are available for authors who wish to submit papers. Option 1, which rolled out last year and is designed to streamline the process, allows authors to submit an initial version of their paper in a format that is already appropriate for final submission, instead of submitting the traditional abstract/summary format. If their papers are selected, authors do not need to do anything further, but have the option of submitting a final revised paper, if they wish. Option 2 is the traditional process, followed in previous years, of submitting a 4-page Technical Summary for review, with the final paper being submitted later after notification of acceptance.
Please follow the instructions and templates available on www.scomminc.com/pp/pcm/sid.htm to help in the preparation and submission of the 4-page technical paper. If your paper is selected, this submission will be used as the final Symposium Digest paper unless a revised version is submitted by March 15, 2020.
Note that content-wise, the submission must contain the abstract and the information listed in the bullet points (1) – (7) below under Option 2.
The instructions below outline the submission requirements employed in previous years, and can be used instead of Option 1, above. If your paper is accepted, you will receive further instructions for filing your final submission by March 15, 2020. Below are the requirements for Option 2:
Page Headers: Please place the first author’s name and the title of the paper on the top of each page of the submission.
Abstract: Your submitted 35-50 word abstract, highlighting the key details of your paper, will be published in the Program if your paper is accepted. The abstracts will be edited to accommodate the program format.
Keywords: Include a minimum of three keywords.
Technical Summary: The summary must not exceed 4 pages in length. Material beyond four pages will not be considered in the evaluation of the paper.
(1) Include the names of all authors with their affiliations, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses. Please underline the name of the presenter when there are two or more authors.
(2) Also indicate whether the presenter is a student.
(3) Objective and Background: Briefly describe the goals and intent of your project and provide background factors that led to the new results.
(4) Results: Describe the specific results that will be presented at the 2020 Display Week Symposium. Please provide a technical description of how the results were achieved. Sufficient detail (quantitative and/or graphical data) should be included so the Program Committee can properly evaluate your submission.
(5) Impact: Discuss the significance of your work and compare your findings with previously published work.
(6) References: List a few main references covering projects in related areas. As of this year, we are requesting that authors use the Vancouver citation style.
(7) Prior Publications: Generally, Symposium papers must be original contributions. If your organization has published or presented material on similar work in English, please explain how the present material differs. The only exception to this rule is that papers submitted to the Emerging Applications subcommittee need not be original.
SUBMISSION PROCESS FOR BOTH OPTIONS
Once the abstract/technical summary is completed, all authors are required to upload it to
Additional information must be provided on the online submission form. Authors must:
(A) Enter the full title of the paper..
(B) Enter the name of the contact author and e-mail.
(C) List all the authors and include their contact information as requested on the form.
(D) Place the abstract in the allotted space on the form.
(E) Enter the keywords in the space provided.
(F) Check the appropriate box for student travel grant requests.
(G) Indicate whether your paper is invited.
(H) Indicate if you wish to have your paper considered for oral or poster presentation, if you have a preference.
(I) Indicate the closest matching symposium topic from the list included in this Call for Papers along with the appropriate special topic if appropriate.
(J) Attach a PDF of your technical summary.
(K) Click on submit.
If you need further assistance, please contact either Bill Klein at email@example.com or Samantha Tola at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for receipt of technical summaries/abstracts is December 1, 2019 (January 25, 2020, for Late-News Abstracts/Summaries). Notification of acceptance will be emailed by February 8, 2020 (February 26 for Late-News Abstracts/Summaries). Authors of accepted papers will be directed to an online “Author’s Kit” with instructions for the preparation of the paper to be published in the Symposium Digest. The paper shall consist of 4 pages, including all illustrations, and is due no later than March 15, 2020. Note: If a revised paper is not received by March 15, the initial summary and abstract submitted will be published in the Symposium Digest.
Points of ContactProgram Chair
Deputy Program Chair
Asian Program Committee Chair
Yonsei University, Korea
European Program Committee Chair
Palisades Convention Management, Inc.
New York, NY, USA
1+(212) 460-8090 x204 (fax -5460)
Palisades Convention Management, Inc.
New York, NY, USA
1+(212) 460-8090 x203
All costs associated with your participation at Display Week as a speaker will be at your own expense (including travel, housing, registration fee, etc.).
Display Week 2020 Features
• Technical Symposium
• Special Topics
• Poster Session
• Invited Papers
• Distinguished Papers
• Author Interviews
• Short Courses
• Technical Seminars
• Awards Banquet
• Annual Awards Luncheon
• People’s Choice Awards
• Exhibitors’ Forum
• Business Conference
• Investors Conference
• Market Focus Conferences
• Women in Tech Forum
• CEO Forum
• Job Fair
Student Travel Grants
A limited number of student travel grants, up to $1000 each, will be made available to student presenters of accepted papers. A student travel grant must be requested upon submission of abstracts by checking off the appropriate box on the online submission site. A questionnaire will automatically be generated. Please complete the questionnaire. Only students who submit the questionnaire will be eligible to receive a student travel grant. The deadline for the submission of abstracts is December 1, 2019; January 25, 2020, for Late-News Abstracts/Summaries.
Deadlines and Key Dates
|Abstracts/Summaries||Dec. 1, 2019|
|Late-News Abstracts/Summaries||Jan. 25, 2020|
|Accept/Reject Letters||Feb. 8, 2020|
|Late-News Accept/Reject Letters||Feb. 26, 2020|
|Revised Digest Paper Submission||Mar. 15, 2020|
|Display Week 2020||June 7–12, 2020|
|Sunday Short Courses||June 7, 2020|
|Monday Technical Seminars||June 8, 2020|
|Exhibition/Exhibitors’ Forum/I-Zone||June 9–11, 2020|