SID would like to announce the 2013 Honors and Awards recipients for exceptional contributions to the display industry. Each year, SID recognizes individuals that have played a critical role in improving the display industry. This year’s winners span various display technologies, ranging from GaN-based semiconductors to PDPs, and will be honored at an awards banquet taking place the evening of May 20 during Display Week (May 19-24, 2013) at the Vancouver Convention Center, West Meeting Rooms 301-305.
2013 SID Honors and Awards Recipients
- The Karl Ferdinand Braun Prize is presented for an outstanding technical achievement in, or contribution to, display technology. The 2013 recognition is awarded to Dr. Isamu Akasaki, a professor at Meijo University, for his seminal contributions to the development of high-quality single-crystal GaN-based semiconductors and their PN-junction blue LEDs and lasers.
- The Jan Rajchman Prize is presented for an outstanding scientific or technical achievement in, or contribution to, research on flat-panel displays. Dr. Marc Baldo, SID member and professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is receiving this award for his outstanding contributions to the discovery of phosphorescent-OLED devices.
- The Slottow-Owaki Prize is awarded for outstanding contributions to the education and training of students and professionals in the field of information displays. This year, the award recipient is Dr. Hoi-Sing Kwok, SID fellow and professor at Hong Kong University, for providing education and training in display technology to many students and professionals in Asia through the creation of a display research center at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- The Lewis & Beatrice Winner Award for Distinguished Service is awarded to a Society member for exceptional and sustained service to SID. Dr. Shigeo Mikoshiba, SID life fellow, past Jan Rajchman Prize winner, and professor emeritus at the University of Electro-Communications in Tokyo, Japan, has won this award for his sustained exceptional contributions to SID over the last 30 years.
The SID Fellow Awards honor individuals who have made a widely recognized and significant contribution to the field of information display. Recipients of the 2013 Fellow Awards are:
- Dr. Baoping Wang
- Dr. Gopalan (Raj) Rajeswaran
- Dr. Hiroyuki Mori
- Dr. Kälil Käläntär
- Mr. Takatoshi Tsujimura
SID is also honoring members of the technical, scientific and business community with Special Recognition Awards for their valued contributions to the information-display field. This year’s Special Recognition Awards acknowledge the following individuals:
- Dr. Hidefumi Yoshida
- Dr. In-Byeong Kang
- Mr. Isao Kawahara
- Mr. Keiji Ishii
- Dr. Qun (Frank) Yan
- Mr. Ryuichi Murai
- Mr. Takehiro Zukawa
The 2013 award winners will be honored at the SID Honors & Awards Banquet on the evening of May 20 from 8-10 PM, during Display Week at the Vancouver Convention Centre. Tickets are available for $75 and must be purchased in advance.